Tuesday 11 May 2010

Embroidery Class 2

We had the second class last Wednesday and I was relieved and excited to see all 12 students back with great enthusiasm! The enthusiasm was such that they didn't want to stop to learn a new stitch! The running stitch had them on a roll and they wanted to continue...



I spent the most part of the lesson trouble-shooting and sorting out problems as they arose. We learned how to end-off the floss and start a new one. We also learned to stop in time, before the last bit is to short to end-off properly and also not to let the last bit of double floss close to the needle get 'worked in'!



As you can see from these 3 examples, every child work at a different pace and with a different touch. Which is great, as the last thing I want is for everbody's work to look the same.



Tomorrow I am going to teach them to do the chain-stitch. I've shown them examples last week and some of the kids want to use it for filling-in and some for lines. And one or two of them want to make daisies on the wings... Exciting!
I took these photos after class last week, as the lesson itself is just to busy to take photos. Hopefully I will get a few action shots tomorrow.

1 comment:

Red Hen (dette) said...

I had to have a little giggle at this one with the teaching then to stop part and in the other post at finding that one stitch a lesson was a bit much! I am an art teacher in a primary school and have done embroidery as a part of one of our projects, I have classes of up to 28 and no assistant and 45 minute lessons so I could totally empathize with you on this one!