Saturday 25 July 2009

Food, glorious food...

In the UAE, as in most other Muslim countries, the weekend differs from the rest of the world. We have our weekend on a Friday and Saturday and the working/school week from Sunday to Thursday. Friday is the holy day in the Muslim religion and are treated the way a Sunday would be treated in the Christian religion.



We as Christians in a Muslim country had to adapt and we do all our usual "Sunday-things" on a Friday. This includes going to church and spending the rest of the day with friends and family.


This past Friday I decided to do the traditional thing and cook a big "sunday meal", including roast leg of lamb, baked potatoes, veg, pudding, etc. I bought a butternut squash earlier this week and was looking forward to oven roasted pumpkin. As most fresh stuff is imported, butternut costs an absolute fortune and does not feature on our plates nearly as frequently as it did back in South Africa.



So maybe it was just because I haven't seen it in such a long time, that this orange pumpkin in this beautiful blue enamel oven dish looked so utterly delicious that I couldn't help photographing it like it was a piece of art...

I made a paste of garlic, honey, olive oil, some herbs and salt and coated the pumpkin in it. I then roasted it in the oven for about 45 minutes until soft and golden brown. Mmmmmmmm delicious!

(O, by the way, the table cloth is one that I bought years ago at Africa Nova, in Hout Bay, Cape Town. It is still one of my favourites.)

No comments: