Thursday 23 April 2009

Blog header

I thought I'll tell you a little bit about my blog name and the photo I used in the header.
Sol y sombra is Spanish and it means Sun and shade. It refers to life being made up of good and bad, positive and negative. For me it also means that there is never only sun or only shade, but always a combination of the two, and the challenge is to focus on the sunny bits. So even when you walk in the shade you can look towards the sun. I try to apply this philosophy to my live in general but it is very applicable to the creative process. Every wonderful creation is preceded by many hours of 'labour pains' to produce something that looks and feels right. I am sure you have all been there...One of my favourite books is called Sol y sombra. It was written by an Afrikaans writer, Uys Krige, during a two year stay in Spain from 1933 to 1935. It was only published in 1948. He said that even though Spain is one of the sunniest places in Europe it has a dark side of poverty and unemployment. It was true about the whole world then and it is still true today 74 years later.

The photo was taken on New Years day 2008 at Ras al Jinz on the east coast of Oman. My husband and myself where watching the sun rise over the new year. It was a really special moment... The track in the foreground was made by a female Greenback Turtle who came on shore the previous night to lay her eggs. We watched a few turtles lay eggs and also saw newly hatched turtles finding their way into the ocean. We felt truly blessed! Ps 23:4
Even though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me, your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

No comments: