Thursday 14 July 2011

Template tutorial

This is how I make all my templates: 


All you need is a pack of coloured, semi-transparent plastic file-dividers like these.  They cost next to nothing at the supermarket stationary department.


Place a sheet of plastic over the pattern and trace with a permanent marker.



If you are going to use it for quilting or sewing, add the seam allowances.


For this pattern I could fit a few pieces on the same sheet.


I used different colour sheets for different parts of the pattern


These templates were for my Arabic quilt.  Here I was playing around with the colours, placing my templates with the fabric I planned to use for each piece.


The plastic is easy to cut, doesn't fray or tear, is transparent for better placement on the fabric and sturdy enough to be re-used over and over.

I've used this method successfully with:
The Arabic quilt (still in progress)

1 comment:

Pearlin J said...

what a great idea!